Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 12, 2012

The truth about who I am

People often ask me what happened when they see how I walk. I’d say, well I was born with Mild Cerebral Palsy that affected the right side of my body particularly my lower extremities.  Some would understand and some would choose to be mum about it. Some would ask further questions, and to tell you honestly, I really don’t mind. This is what was given by the Lord and I have accepted my fate. 

My mom, dad, and grandma brought me up like a normal kid, a normal teenager that I don’t see myself as someone different. I'm thankful that I had such supportive people surrounding me. I join field demonstrations along with my classmates, cheering dances, play sports, drive a car, climb mountains, just like any other person would do. I have learned to cope with the people outside my comfort zone.

I underwent 2 surgeries. At age 8, I underwent surgery at the Lung center in Manila. However, the surgery did not prove to be successful. At age 12, My grandma who was in the states that time was working for Sophia and George Adamson who happens to be Masons. That paved the way for me to get a free pass to go to Shriner's Hospital for Crippled Children in Hawaii. The surgery was successful. However, it did not end there. They were able to fix my leg but found out later that the ball attached to my femur was small compared to my hip socket which caused me to limp. With constant therapy, I was able to walk on my own without braces.

I still limp and kind of drag my right leg when I walk, but this disability did not bring me down. My friends, family and everyone who surrounded me gave me the love, strength, support and confidence to face the outside world.  I got a job with my current company being a Training Coordinator, which meant that I did not need to see anyone except for my boss and a few other trainers.  But that did not give me the satisfaction I was looking for.  I wanted to reach out and touch other people’s lives by honing them to become better at their jobs. Hence, I became a Trainer. Being a trainer meant I will need to stand in front of a class and speak. It felt uncomfortable at first (still does sometimes especially if it’s a new crowd). But as days passed, I began to feel comfortable speaking in a crowd. This is where I felt fulfillment with myself especially if I hear agents who got promoted to a higher post.

Accepting who I am gave me the opportunity to share my optimism with others. Despite what I have went through there is always a bright side to everything. Having this disability though a curse is also a blessing. I tend to lose balance most of the time but what's truly important is that I still have the strength to stand up after every fall.

Points to Ponder on:

1. Are we proud of who we are and what we have become?
2. Do we always tend to whine about small stuff?
3. Have we even considered what life was for other people who have disabilities or are handicapped?

Think about it .... if you're normal.. you're lucky! 

3 comments:

  1. all of us are lucky because we're given talents despite of any health and physical disabilities we have. be thankful for that wonderful talent you have in writing and photography. always aim for the best and give no time to whine about small stuff.

    keep it up Inah.

    ReplyDelete